1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBDII on KAI

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by o8k, Nov 30, 2009.

1. o8k

o8k Member

I have searched around and cannot find the info im looking for. OBDII was implemented in the United States in 1996. So a general rule of thumb is if its 1996 or later model vehicle, its OBDII (and some vehicles 1994/1995 have an OBDII port as well).

How does this apply to these trucks? Not sure if that was a USA thing or a global thing or what. Do they have the OBDII ports? if so, only 1996+? Anyone?

eh, hem... KEI trucks A'

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I believe 1998 they started with EFI systems on these trucks. These trucks will be OBD 2 compliant. The problem is that I heard somewhere that the codes are Japanese. Im in the process of finding more info. on this. The full scan tool aint cheap. Couple of k. I also was told from a supplier in Japan that the Generic Scan tool will work but needs to be reprogram for the translation. More info. to come as I find out. But by all means if you find out anything share share share the info.

3. o8k

o8k Member

Cool. The reason im asking, well there are several, the one im thinking of right now is, that i have had a scangaugeII that works in several vehicles ive owned and is great for giving all kinds of info, (trouble codes) as well as RPM, MPG, water temp, input air temp, manifold air pressure etc.

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, My 99 has a OBDII port. Never had the need to scan it. From what I have read not many people have had luck reading the codes.

5. o8k

o8k Member

Dont understand, "not many people have had luck reading the codes";

1. Is that because they didnt go here and look up what the codes mean? http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

2. Or because the Kei computer isnt programed to transmit ASCII trouble codes and the scanners get confused and ouput P-*&$ or somthing rather than P0010 or somthing like that?

3. Somthing else i cant imagine at the moment?

6. ukmicro

ukmicro Member

My scangauge does not work with my 2007 Subaru R2, shame because it was fine in my Toyota, I have tried all the different options available and although it powers up that is as far as it goes.
    Will be interested if you get your scangauge working and what settings you use.

7. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

My 2001 Suzuki has the port, but only has pins 5,7, and 16. Not enough for most readers to get information. I believe 5 and 16 are the ground and positive terminals.

8. starpuss

starpuss Member

9. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Who has a truck with an OBD port? Any 1995's out there? or 96's?

OK8 - Most of the handheld scanners will not read the Japanese system. It is compliant but the software can not decipher.

using a device like Starpuss recommends allows different software which should read it without problem.

I want to do some stuff with OBD but am sad I have to wait for a jap import with the system on board for a while yet.

10. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

My 99 Dai has an OBD port... I was looking this weekend when wiring up my 99 civic motors OBDII port and found the terminals aren't in the same position as the civics. might help...

11. DriftingMinis

DriftingMinis New Member

Yah, us canucks have a few years yet before we can have the 99's.

I am hoping someone has a 96 or so with OBD? I doubt it would be on a carb'd truck, so I am thinking something fuel injected?