1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Advice

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by mjseiler, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

I seem to have a bad battery in my (new to me 1st ever) 1997 Suzuki Carry. I know I am going to be adding a winch +-3000 lb and a auxiliary pair of lights (like KC's) on my roll bar. I know my alternator is working just fine a mechanic checked it. The question is what battery to purchase with the highest cranking amps so I can use a winch and additional lights. The chance of using both simultaneously is slim unless I get stuck at night. Which as I am typing could posssibly happen frogging during summer months or going to the duck blind in the early hours or on our way back from an evening hunt.....so the chance exists. I don't want to make any alterations to the battery compartment. So, I am looking for suggestions on a "Mean" little battery that can handle the extra! Thanks....Mike

2. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

you may need a deep cycle battery. most of these will not fit in the stock battery box. i'd go with the highest cold cranking amps and most amp hours.
    the Optma brand looks good , if you can go the price.

3. Colin

Colin Member

The best battery you can get in a similar-to-stock size is one of those "HP" rated lawnmower/utility batteries. They usually put out something in the neighborhood of 200-250 CCA. You'll have to make new cables (not a bad idea on a 10 year old vehicle) or adapt the ends of your cables with eyelet terminals.

Or you could go all out and put a couple of 1000 CCA Group 31 truck batteries in it and install a 130A alternator on a custom bracket. I'm not sure the engine would have to power to turn the alternator, much less propel the tremendous heft of those two batteries, though. :D

Colin

4. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  5. frostback

frostback Member

6. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

The Yuasa Yumi-Micron series of batteries also have a good rep and plenty of additional power for the added accessories. The YB16-B-CX fits really well but depending upon your current stock battery you may have to create a rubber spacer to fill a bit of the extra space so the hold down bolts have enough threads available. Another model is the Y60-N24-A which is a bit larger and you may have to check the clearance with the frame rails in the back to make sure you have a bit more space than 7" for the battery heighth. Interstate batteries makes a AGM (glass mat) battery that looks really close in size, CYT20L which is 18ah and CCA of 270. Lots of options for sure!

7. Colin

Colin Member

I've got an Odyssey PC680 (the little tiny one) in my Merkur. It cranks over a low compression 2.3L well, but then again it's not driven in cold weather.

Colin

8. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

I recently fabbed a battery box with angle iron for my friend's Carry..just cut off the stock one. You could just rivet or bolt one together if you dont want to weld.

9. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

Thank you!

I want to thank everyone for their time and responses!.....Mike:)

10. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

More power to you is the goal! :D