1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater not working or AC stuck on??????????

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by MGeorge1972, Dec 13, 2007.

1. MGeorge1972

MGeorge1972 Member

Since the cab of the truck is small I usually just leave the defrost on and that does fine with heating the truck as well. A couple of weekends ago, I had the temperature on heat and moved the selecter to the vents. I don't know if the lever broke but I tried to move it back to defrost and the vents stayed on and I can't get anything out of the defrost. I can not move the selecter all the way to the left now as well. Any ideas if there are any clips that might have broken behind the vents? Ther is not much room and I have not been able to figure out how to take the dash part off to get behind it.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

2. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Sounds like the cable was binding..then either broke or popped off the metal tab. Difficult to tell unless you pull the selector assembly out.
    Haven't worked on one of these in awhile...can't remember the dash layout.
    If you look around the air ducts behind the stereo area, you may find the vent "doors" and their cable attachments. Move each control on your dash until you find the one not working...then move it by hand (you may need to undo the cable) for a temporary fix. Hard to troubleshoot not being there.. sorry.

3. MGeorge1972

MGeorge1972 Member

Thanks....

I think the worst part of these truck is the limited room behind the dash if you have to work on something, unless you want to take the dash out everytime. I will probably look at it again when I go the the camp this afternoon. If I have any luck, I will update.

Mike

4. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

hey, just an idea, I have had selveral trucks that the heat only works on the floor/defrost and defrost mode, they will not put heat out of the dash vents, mine might be broken?? I don't know, but they will heat from the floor

5. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

George,

I had a similar problem on a 92 Suzuki. The cable to the temp control lever had bent just behind the lever. The control door on the heater core housing was stuck and the cable kinked because I "forced" the lever (it did not take much "force"!)

I removed the entire dash to locate the problem. But I was able to straighten the cable and free the door and the problem is solved.

I hope this helps,

6. BLES

BLES Member

I think that is the nature of these beasts. There is another thread here somewhere about these trucks only sending heat through the floor and/or the defost vents, and not through the dash vents.

BLES

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Daihatsu's do send heat out of the top vents. At least mine does anyway, and it's the S110P chassis.

8. MGeorge1972

MGeorge1972 Member

My HiJet is a '94 S83 chasis. Last week after not finding anything broken, I was able to get the lever to move again. Below freezing the next morning and the defrost was workign again. I assume mine will not blow heat out of the vents, and the lever was just stuck on the vent selection. I did not do anything other than get ticked off and hit the dashboard :frustration: and the next thing I know it's working again.

Mike

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Ah...the old "Percussive Maintenance" I see. :D