1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carry engine swaps?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by speedy67, Dec 15, 2007.

1. speedy67

speedy67 Member

What is do-able? (within reason) I've thought about the Suzuki Swift engine.(Chevy Sprint - Pontiac Firely) 1 Litre or 1.3 L? Turboed even? Would it basically be a bolt-in?

How about the engine Arctic Cat uses in their four-strole snowmobile? 600 cc - turbocharged....110 HP, that'll give her some ZIP!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

That would be interesting.....:)

When you mention Suzuki Swift are you refering to the same motors that are in Geo Metro's? Stock hp in a Geo is barely over 50 hp.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  3. Subaru

Subaru Member

I like your thinking :cool::cool:

4. speedy67

speedy67 Member

I don't know much about these little Suzuki-based cars, but given their larger displacement (more torque) and fuel injection, wouldn't they be an attractive option to replace a weak or dying Carry engine? ESPECIALLY a TURBOED version? Arctic Cat pulls 100 HP out of just a 660 cc engine in a snowmobile!!!

5. frostback

frostback Member

Geo metro was only a 3 cylinder 1000cc. Suzuki Swift came with 4 cylinder 1300cc also available with a 16V producing 100hp.

I love engine swaps!:D

I especially love sleepers!:D

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

This kind of thing does sound interesting, especially if they would readily bolt on. My only concern would be, especially given the Metro 1.0 and 1.3 engines, would be if the gearing in the Carry would allow it. Off road would be no big deal, but at higher speeds, is the redline on these engines high enough to allow it?

7. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

8. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

You have to remember the considerable slant these Carry engines have to fit underneath. You would have to modify the oil pan and pickup, for fit, as well as consider how the transmission would follow that angle as well (if you keep the donor trans).
    I considered taking off the bed, or cutting a hole and popping the upper half of the engine out of it..but the length of most engine/transmission combos extend well past the rear axle. Possibly an RX-7 rotary engine/trans. would work. They are very short, especially the early '80s models (SA).
    If reverse isn't necessary, think about a Yamaha Vmax engine. 100hp(ish), and runs with a driveshaft that could be easily modified to attach to the rear end. Some nuts run turbo's and nitrous setups on them, bringing them past 200hp.

9. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

I've seen a 1.0 metro motor put in a Carry. it was at a junk yard , they had to make a cover about 3 inches taller to go over the motor.
    as far as the RPM goes these motors top out at 7,000 rpm . my truck motor is only good for 5,500.

10. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I'm not up on all the specs on Geo motors....however I have 7 Geo metros, 4 of them parts cars... My Geo that I drive has 246,000 miles on it, and runs like a striped -@$$ ape.... It would be very interesting to see one of those motors put in a mini truck....maybe this summer I'll look into it...I've got plenty of motors to play with...;)

I say a 1300cc + Harley motor would be sweet in one of these trucks....??...:D

11. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Lots of good ideas, and I'll be checking out the Suzuki cars for good engine swaps. If anyone has pics, please post..

12. Yardscape

Yardscape Member

I realize these trucks are "new" to the american market, and are in "limited" supply/demand by the general public. BUT. . .

Instead of doing an engine swap with a higher HP engine, why hasn't someone came up with a bigger carb, high flow intake & exhaust, different camshaft, bore & stroke the engine, get rid of all the vaccuum lines, etc.

It seems like there would be a big market (in the future) for replacement, high performance parts.

Here is a question. Instead of trying to cram a Metro motor into a truck, will the intake & carb (fuel injection) swap over easily?

On the other side of things. These trucks are dependable to drive and can go just about anywhere you want to take them. Why mess with it?

Just kidding. Someone make me a Super Charger that I can bolt on to double my HP.

13. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

14. Yardscape

Yardscape Member

15. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

email i got back from Superfly, i'm running a cam and gear that he made in my metro.
    Inbox Sentbox Outbox Savebox

TeamSwift Forum Index
    Inbox :: Message
    To: larry griffith
    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 am
    Subject: Re: cam
    larry griffith wrote:
    do you know if the 1.0 cam would work in a 0.660 motor (Carry). or would you be able to grind these came? there seems to be some interest in modifying these trucks as they become more popular .
    thanks
    larry

Are they not an F series?
    The G motor cams won't fit, as far as I know, but the chinese copy F series are motors are showing up in the little buggies peopel are buying.
    I've done a few head packages. They take a good cam profile well.
    Let me know if you have any pics of the motors, or find any info.
    I'll see what profiles will work

16. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

17. Colin

Colin Member

I want to put a S/C 2.4L four from a Previa in a minitruck. :D

18. frostback

frostback Member

Maybe the new Hayabusa 1300cc:D

195hp@9500rpm:eek:

This guy down the road builds Super Sevens with Hayabusa power and they look quick! A minitruck is not much heavier.

http://www.super7cars.com/index.html

Derek

19. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

<sigh> a Seven sure would be fun. Wow.

20. frostback

frostback Member

I see the occasional Caterham or Westfield Super Sevens at auction in Japan. One Westfield sold for about $7K a few weeks ago.:frustration:

I'll have one someday.;)

21. Acerguy

22. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

Has anyone thought of using motorcycle powered car parts? Quaife Engineering out the UK (with an link to their site in the USA) has gearboxes and differentials used in "motorcycle powered car" racing over there.
    I've always wanted to build my own M/C powered car or buggy. Maybe my Carry would make a great transplant host. I always wanted to find a way to get my Carry up to and easily maintain highway speed.

Anybody have any thoughts?

23. Acerguy

Actually, you bring up some intriquing ideas. How about using a Honda Acty as a donor for a home built, mid engine all-wheel-drive roadster? A mini-Lambo of sorts. Hmmmm.... Register it as a kit car depending on your local laws.

24. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

Why a Honda Acty? What would make it a better donor than say my Carry? Just curious. Don't know anything about the Acty. I've never seen one up close.
    But interesting idea.
    hmmmm.

25. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

I forgot to add the link to Quaife
    http://www.quaife.co.uk/Gearboxes_3

Adam Slater likes this.
  26. Acerguy

The only reason I mentioned an Acty is that you'd have a mid-rear engine configuration which would probably get you the best weight balance. With the Carry, though, I suppose you'd have the seats just in front of the rear axle (like on a Seven or Westfield) so I suppose that would work too! On the other hand, the Subaru is the only one with a true independent rear suspension...AW heck, I'd bet it would be fun no matter what you used! :D

And then there's the local Motorcycle Salvage yard that has a dumped, 2006 Hayabusa for US$2395 for a donor....(gurgle gurgle gurgle) :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  27. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

28. frostback

frostback Member

I'm watching the video thinking that looks pretty slow for a Busa powered Metro, then I read 600cc. Still cool, but not as cool as a Busa powered minitruck would be.:D

29. frostback

frostback Member

30. larryn2o

larryn2o Member