1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acty Coil Spring Change

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by blakkmoon, Sep 11, 2010.

1. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

SO my front springs came in.
    QA1's 10 inch 275 pound COOL!

After reading everything I could find about changing springs here on the forum
    I thought it was time to tackle the job

It turns out that ( of course ) the honda is different from the others

You have to take the entire assembly out as a whole unit and take the coil spring out on the bench

This of course makes it a little more work
    But it seems I have not found any info on the honda specifically
    So I thought I should post what I did

Here is the procedure

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/album.php?albumid=228

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Nice write up...the truck looks good:)

3. priority

priority New Member

I am very interested in doing the same thing to my 94 acty, but have a few questions before I take the plunge. (1)What made you decide to use the 250# spring over a heavier duty one? (2) How much, if any, did it raise the front end? (3) On a scale of 1-5, 5 being the best, how much did it improve the ride? (4) If I wanted to add a lift kit, would your modification still be compatable? Thanks so much.

4. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Nice writeup! I used the same springs only the 250# version for my Zooki!

5. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

I did not use the 250`s - I used the 275`s
    same thing still applies tho

If I were to do it again, I would probably go with 300`s

reasons...
    I don`t offroad, but my truck works hard
    It carries a lot of weight ( not just my fat arse )
    I am just 200 myself, and then I put over 1000 lbs in it every day
    So 250`s were outa the question
    But I really should have gone with 300`s

definitely raised the truck 2-3 inches

Improved the ride about a 4
    - stiffer= better cornering
    - stronger = better weight handling
    - way smoother ride
    - never bottoms out any more
    it was bottoming out even with no weight in it b4
    but the old springs were completely shot

Another thing I would try to do is to NOT cut off those couple inches
    I would try to see if it fits without doing that

I have a feeling that once it was all in there, the spring would have snapped into place just fine
    but its a trial and error thing

I dont have any info for you on a lift kit
    I have never done it
    I want to try to fab up one soon

In MY situation, I think it would be safe
    I would only go 2 inches

I believe that because the old springs were so bad
    That the truck being raised a few inches
    probably only restored it back to factory height
    The spring may be new and strong but...
    It is TOTALLY restricted by the length of the strut

It really just stopped the strut from sagging any
    the total length ) height ( of the strut never changed
    therefore the steering geometry should have never changed

so a 2 inch lift should be safe

13 inch wheels also give it a WAY better ride over the 12 inchers

My idea of the perfect scenario...

14 inch wheels ( not low profile tires - something like a 185-70-14 )
    find struts from something like a civic or accord
    and fab them up with the welder to fit the acty
    then put in nice long 250 pound springs
    heck maybe the factory ones from a civic would be just fine
    after all they are made for a civic that weighs much more than these trucks

this should give it both the lift and the travel

this 3 inches of travel that we now deal with
    is part of what makes for such a rough ride

When I was in the junk yard in the summer, i noticed that the rear struts on a late 90s tercel look like they might do the job
    i am going to look at that when the weather warms up here

so to conclude
    the ride is way better
    but it is still rough

just put in my new seats a few weeks ago
    that helped a lot
    but it is still a rough ride

but i know it will never ride like a crown vic

6. priority

priority New Member

Thanks for the reply. I currently have 14" honda rims on mine and I am in desperate need of wheel spacers due to the rim rubbing the springs up front. I use mine as an everyday driver, but never really haul any loads. I think I will try the 275's and hope that that will give it the small amount of lift I am looking for, along with a better ride. I also have a set carlisle (sp?) atv tires on a set of 12" rims, the atv tires ride like a cadillac compared to the 175/80's.

7. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

8. priority

priority New Member

Are the spacers that you sent me in the link correct for my bolt pattern? The same company offers both 1" and 1.25" spacers, i noticed you said you wish you had used 1", any paticular reason? If I'm only hauling things on an every once in a while basis, should the 250's be all right, or do you suggest going ahead and getting the 300"s?

9. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

No, I cannot tell you which spacers are for you
    It was just an example of what you can find on ebay
    and to show you what I got

For me - it was WAY cheaper to get them on ebay
    I think they ended up costing about $150 including shipping
    There are lots of dealers on ebay that sell them
    I suggest doing research before you buy
    locally they would have cost me about $700
    and i could only find ONE place that sells them

MAKE SURE you get the right ones
    double check your bolt pattern
    if you know what your 14 inch wheels are from, you can look it up and be sure
    ( I am pretty sure the Acty is a 4x100, but make sure for yourself )

As for the 1 vs 1.25
    I just meant that 1 inch would have been enough for me
    Now the tires stick out past the body a bit
    and I had to farmer up some splash guards because it makes quite a mess in the sloppy slushy snow

But your wheels may be different ( different offset )
    Without the spacers, ( at least in the front )
    I can`t even get my wheels on
    They are stuck on the springs ( no space at all )
    And unlike other people I see here on the forum
    I am not happy with a quarter in of space
    I think that the front tires still occasionally rub the springs
    Tires flex ALOT ( unless you have really low profile ones )

But at the same time
    my front ones still tend to rub on the outside edge of the body sometimes
    So I still need to lift it another inch or two

As far as springs
    I would think that 300s are probably too much for you if you are not hauling heavy loads all the time
    ( unless u r the heavy load )
    Mine still drops three quarters of an inch when I get in the truck ( i measured )
    I only meant the `` I `` should have got the 300s
    Because of the daily 1000 lbs loads
    Heck on fridays I put close to 2000 lbs in it - so it gets quite a workout

Ironraven likes this.
  10. 1992LRT

1992LRT New Member

Coil spring help

I have a 1992 Honda Acty pick up and I just bought 13 inch rims with 165/70R13.

There is enough clearance until you put two passengers in it then it seems to bottom out and rub when turning.

I think I need new coil springs and was wondering how did you arrive at 10 inch 275 and how do I get some?

11. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

10" because that's the stock spring size. 275 because he wanted a stiffer spring to support the heavy loads he carries. Jegs.com or summitracing.com has them in stock.

12. rskala

rskala New Member

I used the information from the previous thread and made a decision on new springs for my 1994 Honda ACTY truck. I used the 300 lb. springs from Summit Racing Equipment (www.SummitRacing.com). Part number AFC-23300CR ($99.71/pair incuding shipping). They are very near the correct inner and outer diameters. They fit great with NO CUTTING of the ends. Just make sure you rotate them right with the end caps. We haul two people up front (450+ lbs) often. The 300# springs are stiff, but you will never bottom out with that load up front. I would not recommend any heavier and you may wish to drop down to 275# springs for a softer ride. Job was very easy to do (<two hours). Be sure and remove center bolt on brake line to relax brake line tension (you don't have to detach brake line ends). Then use one jack under center body and another jack under lower arm. I also use 1 inch wheel spacers on front hubs. That allows my Carlisle off roads to clear springs and wheel well (3 inch lift). I use stock 12 inch rims. I hope this helps. Thanks to all above for the info.

Acerguy likes this.
  13. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice input, rskala! :)

14. I'm getting ready to order some 275 lb. springs for my 92 Acty. Did you guys need to use a spring compressor to do this job?

15. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I did use a spring compressor for mine but the regular coil spring compressors were too big. I had to dig out a old McPherson strut spring compressor that I had from owning VWs back in the 70's

16. kbruce

kbruce Member

Did you have to use a spring compressor for the Summit part number mentioned?

17. kbruce

kbruce Member

Did you order your springs and replace yet? What brand, size, part# spring did you buy? I've got a 97 Acty and want to stiffen the front end to keep the tires from rubbing now-and-then... w/o installing a lift kit if possible.

18. Sorry, but no, I have not done anything yet. But, it is my very next project. My mini is at my deer camp right now (100 miles away), so I'll need to get it back here for this project.

I do plan to go with the 275# spring. In fact, I had found ONE on eBay and ordered it. But, I thought they could send me 2, but this place had only one, so I canceled the order.

When I do the job, I will post pics.

19. kbruce

kbruce Member

Can you post a picture of the old Macpherson strut spring compressor you used? I'm curious and CompleteLawnCare is getting ready to swap his springs. I used regular size spring compressors and fought it but got it somehow.

Thanks

20. OldMachinist

Here's a picture of the style spring compressor I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

My brother has borrowed mine right now to change the struts on his Colbalt.

21. Thanks guys. I'm headed to the camp today to bring my truck home for this project. I think I'm going to go with the 275 lb springs.

I'll keep y'all posted.

22. Got my truck home today. I ordered the 275# chrome springs today from Summit Racing for about $100 delivered to my door. I find it odd that the chrome springs are cheaper than the yellow powder coated springs.

Now, I need to find a spring compressor so I can tackle this project.

23. kbruce

kbruce Member

Ahhhh... now that looks like the tool to use. I would imagine a little less wrestling involved.

24. kbruce

kbruce Member

Here's the tool I used, rented from the auto parts store. I would not advise using unless you have no other option. It's made for normal size car springs... was unwieldy on the little 10" springs.
    CAL-513.jpg

I'm wondering if this little set from Pittsburgh (available at Harbor Freight) would work? The hooks look to be a little thinner and sharper?
    Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 9.17.23 PM.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you end up using.

The single action compressor seems like the way to go if you can find one to borrow or rent. Harbor Freight has them on sale right now for $69.99
    Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 9.30.47 PM.jpg

25. Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  26. OldMachinist

I have the spring compressors like the ones that you posted the link to on Ebay and they are a little too big for these springs. The ratchet straps will work I've done some other struts that way once at a friends house where I didn't have the compressor with me.

27. Thanks OldMac. My new springs have not arrived yet. I'll try to post pics of the whole project.

28. kbruce

kbruce Member

Yes, the ratchet straps will work... I actually used a couple to get out of a bind using the "over-sized" tool I rented from the auto parts store. Make sure you get the straps without the hooks on the end. Check out this video.

29. Cool video. Thanks.

30. The springs arrived today. I might get on this tomorrow. My brother-in-law works at a Toyota dealership and he says they have just the tool for changing the springs.

I'll get pictures.....