1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New project, 2003 Suzuki.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by DYNOBOB, Jan 28, 2011.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Doing some mods to a friends 2003 Carry. Tires, springs, front and rear receiver bumpers, snow plow, general maintenance, maybe small lift. Afco 10"/250lb raised it 1" in front. Carlisle AT489s another 3/4". It was a real pain getting the new tires to take air on the stock 3.5" rims. Since I just did this same stuff to my truck it's interesting to compare the two. I do like the axle forward design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Look nice! While I like the looks of the LWB trucks, how does foot room and getting in and out compare to your truck. I'm thinking especially when I have my snow boots on I wonder how easy it would be to get in one of those vs. our trucks.

3. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Our trucks have a lot wider footwell and more room to extend your legs, of course I don't have a clutch though. A couple observations, this Suzuki has a faster steering ratio than my Hijet, it feels more like a regular car. It's ride is also flatter, more car like. The Hijet will turn considerably tighter though. This truck is a 5 speed w/ hi/low. Driving it around today confirms the value of hi/low, I wish my truck had it. My take on the Carlisle 489s is they are a lot softer than my AllTrails. Tire says max 7psi on it, I have 17 in them and they look like they need more. I question whether they are the right tire for the job.

Today's pics. +1.5" shackles, very nice bumper from Mich Trucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  4. Norkis ADC

Norkis ADC New Member

Nice job bro

5. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Front bumper installed. I'll say I am impressed with the design and fab of these bumpers. They are rock solid. They do greatly reduce approach/depart angles though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

omg it actually has a "hood"!!

7. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Ended up flipping the bumper to increase clearance. Pulled a door panel to investigate installing door speakers. It already has cutout for standard 4" speaker w/ holes in door jambs for wire runs. Changed all fluids. Replaced missing tailgate chains. Installed front&back lights on headache rack. Waiting on plow to arrive.

Here's a little info on this model Carry. When I picked up the truck it would barely run due to very old gas. I pumped out all the old I could and put in new but it still took quite a while for the truck to run right. Turns out this truck does not have a fuel rail pressure regulator and return line to the tank. Since the pump is dead heading against the fuel rail it took a while to get fresh gas to the injectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

neat idea for lights on the back there!

9. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

no return line ?? the pump must be controlled by the ECU,or it just continuously chugs away,..odd way to do it...I've never seen that before...

10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Some fuel inj motorcycles are the same, designed I suppose for weight savings. Never seen it on a car though. We put a turbo on my friends Hayabusa and had to add a return line bung for the boost indexed pres reg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  11. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Neat...gonna check my sons CBR...it's injected...always something new to learn:)

12. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

Nice work.

I also have a 2003 suzuki carry and put on the afco 250lb 10 inch springs. I didn't know this until I took them off, that my old springs were actually 11 inches long. They look like something stock. Before I changed the old springs, I took measurements of the springs length with the truck on all four tires: 8 inches, front end up off the ground: 8.5 inches, and the top of the wheel opening with truck on all four tires 28.5 inches. With the new springs installed, none of the measurements changed. My 25 inch dirt tammer tires no longer rub when I have my blackline plow on or have a passanger. I also haven't problems with the strut topping out. Are your rear leaf spring under the axles or over? Mine are over.

13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

This truck gained 1" w/ the Afcos but the stock springs were slightly shorter than the new springs. No problem either w/ topping out. Only added shackles in back, axle over springs still. We are waiting on the plow to decide on adding 1" front spacers.
    Bob

14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Bob... You'll find that your Daihatsu is the same. In addition it also does not have a fuel filter.

15. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

I've been meaning to look at my truck...

I guess these Suzukis have a fit specific fuel filter in the tank? Does anyone know where to get one?

Bob

16. greg0187

If its anything like the Daihatsu its just a strainer in the tank.

17. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Direction I'm going on mounting the plow. Mounting the winch on a vice mount tongue above the plow. A 2" mount Cycle Country pushbar and 72" plow on the way. Waiting on them before cutting/drilling these parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Snow plow

72" Cycle Country plow arrived today missing the tongue that mounts the push tube to the truck however...
    I think my adapters are going to work though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  19. greg0187

Sweet! But I have to say I love the white Toy!

20. erixun

erixun Member

Sweet! Is your winch wireless remote or wired? I like the idea of swapping around the front bumper for more clearance. I need to get off my hind end and get my front bumper going...

21. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

It has a wired remote. Nothing is mounted/wired yet. He can also move the winch to the rear bumper if he wants.

Bob

22. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Delivered truck to owner today. Final pics. He had 4" of snow last night so we got to test the plow (should have got pics).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]