1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1997 Acty Stumbles and Loses Power

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by cruisedirector, Feb 26, 2024.

1. cruisedirector

cruisedirector New Member

Hi Everyone,

Newbie Acty owner here and I have an issue and I have Googled, YouTubed and looked here and tried to find the solution to my problem, so I hope this isn't something that has been on here a million times but I am really confused.

My Acty almost died on me today when I was driving through the neighborhood. It had stumbled a few times before but this time I lost almost all power and when I put it in neutral and gave it gas, it didn't respond and just had a pathetic idle and I think it was running rich from the smell and a bit of smoke. I was able to limp it the 1/2 block back to the house but I had to get a running start at the driveway in order to make it up the slight incline.

I let it sit for a few minutes and then I tried to start it and it fired right up and idled normally and when I revved the engine it reacted normally. I wasn't about to drive it because now I don't trust it. I have read that it could be the fuel filter so I have one on order but I disconnected one line coming off the fuel filter and it had plenty of gas in it. Another point of confusion is that I read about the solenoids in the carburetor that tend to go bad, but I have read in one place that all 96 and up Actys have EFI but then many people on forums and sites talk about the carburetor on their 97 Acty. Plus I downloaded the English version of service manual and it shows a carburetor and that looks like what I have. I have worked on cars for years but not these little engines. But attached are a couple of pics of the engine with the white plastic carb/EFI cover removed and please confirm or deny that is a carburetor.

One YouTuber posted a video with the exact same issue and he said it was the ignition control module on the side of the distributor. That makes a lot of sense to me and I've ordered one but please let me know if that sounds like it could be the problem.

This truck was serviced just before I bought it last week so the oil, air filter, I believe the spark plugs are new. I also know the owner put a new O ring on the distributor because it was leaking. The only mod I have made to the truck is that I installed a push button start module and I don't think there is any way that could be causing the issue I am having.

So, my thoughts are if I do have a carb it could be the solenoids and the other likely culprit is the ignition control module. I am going to replace the fuel filter just to eliminate that as a potential problem. Am I going in the right direction?

Attached Files:

2. dan112345678

dan112345678 New Member

You have a carb

3. shogun

shogun Active Member