1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3g83 interchangeability for different years

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by OKei, Oct 3, 2021.

1. OKei

OKei New Member

Hi 3 diamond loving peeps
    I just swapped a 93 model Minicab Wagon Van for a bottle of quality sake I got for a present
    and love the look, build and interchangeability makes them restore friendly cars.

Just looking at newer 2011 3g83 engines from kei cars like toppo and other mitsubishi models
    it looks like they have great compatibility between all 3g83 4v sohc models.

The later models have the provisions for the early distributors and the head inlets
    and exhaust ports patterns have not changed, just the rocker cover for the coil-on-plugs.

Providing I use the same sump ancillaries and probably early camshaft unless the later cam
    has the same female socket where the early distributor bolts up (yet to confirm) it could be
    possible to use all soch 12v engines of the 3g83 models from 1991 to 2011.

If someone else has confirmed this already please chime in to help my suspicions.
    Otherwise will keep searching as my engine has low compression and prefer a complete swap
    for a newer low km engine as I have access to plenty of them for very cheap saving me time
    and money on rebuilding my original one.

Below is a late model engine from a 2001 Minica hatch

[​IMG]
    This is auto model but you can see the blanking plate where the old distributor would be

water provisions for earlier carb models warm up idle control etc.
    [​IMG]

My main concern is the camshaft as I dont fancy assembling the rockers and setting the
    right tolerances however if I must then saves me from time from a rebuild.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  2. OKei

OKei New Member

Also have access to the 4A30 twin cam turbo engine and the Pajero Jr 4A31 bottom end
    which will give me 1098cc combo and can use the Pajero IO 2ltr rear differential centre
    for better gearing. Love the combos possible with this solid little van.

3. OKei

OKei New Member

I have confirmation from Japanese Minicab enthusiast that 3g83 engine up to 2013 can be used
    from Mitsu Ek, Toppo, Minicab, Minica, Nissan Otti, Nissan Clipper and some more industrial applications.
    The 4a30 has the same modular options on the sohc that both the efi eci and carb heads and blocks are compatible
    Now if only I could get my hands on a 3g82 crank, rods and pistons! 800cc option
    The 4a31 is the 1100cc engine but very rare to find the U45V/W Minicab Towny Wide even chekcing
    Taiwanese auction sites nothing is listed so far.

If any Taiwan Nationals know how to get the 1100cc engine sump, oil pick up tube for the Towny that would be great.
    The 4a30 minicab and Bravo is all interchangeable with the 4a31 block but carb would need rejetting if not using efi.

So now if I cant get the 1100cc sump will just go for the 3g83 for now as they are more abundant and hopefully some
    Taiwan dude can point me to the 800cc internals of bottom end one day.

Also looking for a 3b20, 3b21 and 3b21T transmission adapter option as these engines are amazing in the Mitubishi i
    specially since they are used in Smart cars as well as the 3b21t makes 102hp and 108ft lbs equivalent to a 1.6L NA engine.
    Being 3 cylinders and slanted as much as the 3g83 but all alloy and better economy/hp is worth looking into.

4. Bill_W

Bill_W New Member Supporting Member

I have 87 model u15t, Mitsubishi mini cab superdx. It has the 3g81 engine in it. I would like to go with at least the 660cc engine, but would prefer the 796cc engine. Does anyone know the compatibility, as far as transmission and engine to frame mounts. I have the 4speed manual transmission, and Hi-Lo four wheel drive.

5. MikeD

MikeD Member

all great info shared . I would love to see someone pull off getting a bigger engine swapped into these rigs.

6. Bill_W

Bill_W New Member Supporting Member

So the 660, or 796 cc should bolt right up with no modifications