1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'98 HA4 Engine/Cooling Issues

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by MrFusion88, Feb 23, 2024.

1. MrFusion88

MrFusion88 New Member

Hi all, I'm a relatively new Acty owner and still have much to learn... it's a '98 with ~50k km. I've been reading a lot of threads here and trying to educate myself on some of the common issues with these vehicles.

I'll start with the known issues:

The temperature gauge on my instrument cluster never moves. It's always stuck pointing at the middle of 'C'. I've never heard the radiator or sub-cooling fan turn on, but the fuses look good.

Also possibly worth noting (I saw someone else mention this in a different thread), the radio doesn't work. It's the original AM radio ('4RS0') and the clock seems to work fine, but I've never been able to get sound out of it.

On to the engine - starts and seems to idle fine, although when the vent fan/lights are on the idle will go low and sputter a bit. I’ve only driven it any significant distance once, and it seemed to run fine, but after about 3 miles the engine died out while trying to put it in gear at a stoplight. Wouldn’t start again for about an hour. Possibly the engine overheated and had to cool down? Would like to hear other’s thoughts here.

Next Steps:

I’ve replaced spark plugs already and included photos of the old ones, along with a couple of the carb/engine/fuse box. I have a carb rebuild kit with both solenoids as I understand these are a common failure point, but haven't actually done anything with the carb yet. Also considering a new thermostat and/or thermo radiator switch given the threads I’ve been reading here.

Attached Files: