1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another S110P No Start thread

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by daijet, Apr 27, 2023.

1. daijet

daijet New Member

Howdy- I recently picked up a 95 S110P EFNS. It was not turning over, had a bad fusible link wire (thanks to someone on here that pointed that out!). Now it turns over but no start. I am still not convinced there is not an electrical problem though.

I have searched on here but do have some questions/comments

1- I have noticed that I am not getting power to IG1 and IG2, those fuses do not light up with my test light. The fuses are good. I searched but those terms are not searched due to being too short. Perhaps an exception can be made to allow those? Anyway, when should IG1 and IG2 have power? If someone has a wiring diagram in English, that would be ideal.
    2- It does need a tune up, I have confirmed spark and fuel are working. But there is wear on the plugs and wires.
    3- I cannot find a replacement for my charcoal canister. It is 77704-87515 by Aisin, but nothing comes back, even on some overseas sites. What are people replacing the canister with?

TIA. Looking forward to driving this sometime!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

One of the “IG” leads feeds the distributor, the other feeds the engine control module, which on our older trucks is what Toyota called an igniter in their early pointless ignitions.

You can pull the coil lead to the distributor hold it about half an inch from the frame and have some one crank the engine over. You should see a bright blue-white spark.

You can also disconnect the leads to the coil, hook direct to the battery for the positive, leave the negative lead loose and hold the big lead from the coil next to the frame, and see if you have a good spark.

3. daijet

daijet New Member

Thanks for this. I did what you suggested with the coil wire and it works as it should, so I guess the IG does not do much on these.

I had a hard time removing the lead on the cap, it appears to be fused to the metal contacts in the cap. I guess I am at a holding pattern until I get the parts for a tune up. Will report back after that is done.

4. daijet

daijet New Member

Update- I got all new Daihatsu OEM plugs, cap, rotor, wire set, and a new oil, air and fuel filter. It took awhile but they are here. It definitely looked liked they had not been changed in a really long time. I put in a new battery as well. However, I am still unable to get it to start. What should I look into next?

Oddly, my headlights don't work and it buzzes when it is on, could be a clue? The parking lights do work.

Edit- I checked my new plugs and they are dry. Fuel is flowing to and from but does not appear to reach the plugs. Anyone have any input on this?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  5. daijet

daijet New Member

I have confirmed fuel to and from the fuel tank works. The line to the carb is also pumping fuel. In the pic, the fuel line going to the carb is the one my pliers are holding

Some more questions
    1- I tried to blow air through the line and nothing is going through. Is this expected?
    2- To the right of the pliers but left to the top of the carb/metal brace is a green knob that turns. It cannot go round and round, just about a 270 degree What is this?
    3- Where/how does choke work? I don't have a knob, at least that I can find, so I suspect it's electronic?

Attached Files:

6. daijet

daijet New Member

I removed the carb today. It appears the carb is NLA. Any advice on where to get a carb, a rebuild kit or even just take it apart to clean it ?

7. Slashaar

Slashaar New Member

8. daijet

daijet New Member

Thanks, I did get a kit from G&R, looks like good quality. I have not installed it yet but hope to this weekend.

maboyce and Slashaar like this.
  9. HoJet

HoJet New Member

did you get around to installing it? curiouse if that was the issues or something else. also did you ever figure out your headlights? my 95 has zero power to the headlights or to the headlight fuses so i am about to start chasing wires from the fuse block to the battery

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The headlights are ground controlled. So troubleshooting can be weird the first time you encounter it. Check other battery fuses at the fuse block. And make sure they are getting voltage.