1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transmission lost 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Emerald, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Emerald

Emerald New Member

It seems my Mitsubishi min truck has lost 2nd gear. I was driving around on the weekend, did some mudding, pressured washed it down and it seems I lost second gear after that. It will only go from 1st to 3rd. I also believe I only have a 3 speed transmission, I have only had three gears since owning it. Has anyone ever experienced this before? The truck is a 1992 Mitsubishi MiniCab U42T 3G83

2. Emerald

Emerald New Member

So it looks like 2nd still exists kind of. I was checking the wiring by the transmission. If I disconnect the wire in the picture, then the transmission will go from 1st to second, but not third. If I reconnect it, I get 1st to 3rd. It must be a wiring issue, it happened right after pressure washing it after a little off roading.

I am at a bit of a loss. I checked my grounding, the transmission is grounded. I did notice the white wire coming off the transmission is grounded out when not connected. That does not seem right to me but I know nothing about transmission.

Anyone got any ideas

upload_2024-4-8_20-35-2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  3. MikeD

MikeD Member

That's a tough one, I have no experience with this but based on your testing it sounds electrical for sure and nothing mechanical within the transmission has failed.

I have the van body so my setup is different but I did find some delicate thin old wires around the topside of the transmission. Something must have gotten wet/ wiggled / broken when you where wheelin' and washin