1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Lights ??? and volt meter ???

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by victorb153, Mar 14, 2024.

1. victorb153

victorb153 New Member

...What to check next ?? who to ask ???
    Just put in new battery... and then now the battery light comes on.....checked voltage ( got one of those ones that plugs into cigarette lighter so you can check while driving )...and only 11.2 was/is showing ...so I took out alternator and had it rebuilt....( you have to drop frame and it was a bitch to get out and back in)....
    ........put in new 20 amp inline fuse thats in battery box on Pos Line....
    ............I put in newly rebuilt carburetor .......
    and it Purrs like a kitten.....Starts perfect and Idles perfect....with first turn of the key.......
    .......I also took Catalytic converter off and it looks perfect....but the dash light is on......
    ........this thing Purrs ...everything is perfect...except....I have the Battery and the CAT Muffler light on / on the dash....and the voltage meter thats in cigarette lighter reads 11.2.....when I turn head lights on it drops to 10.4.......
    This Van is beautiful not a spot of rust anywhere.....Its the best Van there is because its real 4x4 not AWD.....5 speed Supercharged....AC....Super Aero roof....super documented. and cared for by previous owners....
    ........just the two Dash Ligts being on and the volt meter in cigarette lighter reading 11.2......
    .........What to check next ?? who to ask ??? heres video from when I bought it......
    1989 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo SUPERCHARGED 4x4
    YOUTUBE.COM
    1989 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo SUPERCHARGED 4x4
    1989 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo 4WD Van3g81 550 cc 3-cylinder Cyclone engine with Supercharger! Japanese import with approx. 64k miles (102k km) Timing done a...
    [​IMG]

YOUTUBE.COM
    =AT2WXCcl6q5SgIagZu_G_KOu8iBFoObwHLzpVHPUHJum8dgeDceH0mEIvUdvZ77_Vk2VAb4fkBiHCtQI2qX_-JIk1oZWpr-vtBmZgQoHVSu8TDG_VSvcNUwK8xucfpTFjIQXew0dSSxo2zx2iQDyigSOGJulSf8_eKf1388']1989 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo SUPERCHARGED 4x4
    =AT2WXCcl6q5SgIagZu_G_KOu8iBFoObwHLzpVHPUHJum8dgeDceH0mEIvUdvZ77_Vk2VAb4fkBiHCtQI2qX_-JIk1oZWpr-vtBmZgQoHVSu8TDG_VSvcNUwK8xucfpTFjIQXew0dSSxo2zx2iQDyigSOGJulSf8_eKf1388']1989 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo 4WD Van3g81 550 cc 3-cylinder Cyclone engine with Supercharger! Japanese import with approx. 64k miles (102k km) Timing done a...
    =AT2WXCcl6q5SgIagZu_G_KOu8iBFoObwHLzpVHPUHJum8dgeDceH0mEIvUdvZ77_Vk2VAb4fkBiHCtQI2qX_-JIk1oZWpr-vtBmZgQoHVSu8TDG_VSvcNUwK8xucfpTFjIQXew0dSSxo2zx2iQDyigSOGJulSf8_eKf1388']

Comment

2. MikeD

MikeD Member

Interesting post, thanks for sharing. There was a recent forum on here where someone had a similar battery issue along with a few dash light and after a few fixes the light did eventually turn off.

All of the advice I would have given IE: check alternator, voltage, fuses, etc. you have already done. I'll rattle off a few ideas.....
    • Do you have a proper volt meter than you can put to the battery instead of the cig lighter? I suspect you may get the same results but worth a shot for troubleshooting. Cheap to get at harbor freight if needed
    • When I bought my 95 U44V Bravo it has the hot exhaust light on as well. I put high octane fuel, swapped fuel filter, air filter, all the basic shit and then just let it rip. Eventually that light turned off.
      >> You mentioned you pulled the cat and it was clear so good sign.
      *** Note, I recently replaced my muffler and it was rotted on the inside causing some restriction. Seems irrelevant for your problem though since you mentioned it runs great.
    • My AT temp light stays goes on and off alot and I've confirmed the temp is fine. I think these old dash lights are finicky.
    • Maybe a bad ground or loose connection somewhere? These motors are so crammed in there it's such a bitch to work on and check stuff out

I'd say if I were in your shoes, my next step would be to get a proper voltage read from the battery to know for sure what you're getting. Maybe even probe the alternator as well if you can get to it. Mine is right up top under driver seat and easy to get to.

The strange piece of info here is that the vehicle is running just fine without any issues. Even with the voltage drop being shown when you turn headlights on.