1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine & Solid Axle Swap Build

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

why soo scientific??? have you never heard of an 02 defouler?

they can be made easily with a few bucks. you just put one of these on and plug it to your secondary o2 sensor. All the honda guys use them.
    http://www.ivtecdaily.com/rsx/mods/raceHeader.html

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the antifouler method doesn't work in all cases...but according to Audi this does
    1 Standard Diode from radio shack, P/N: 276-1141

The average rectifier diode is a one-way valve. It has a voltage drop when current passes through it, which for the sake of discussion is usually around 0.5 volts. There are millions of different diodes that can greatly alter that figure, but for our purposes we will use that figure because it's exactly what we need. Your precats aren't burning off any of those unburned hydrocarbons when they're laying in a million pieces in the trashcan, so there is plenty of oxygen present as far as the downstream O2 sensors are concerned. They're putting out 0.95 volts. Pass through this lovely $1.29 incarnation, and whee! It's 0.45 volts. What does the ECU expect? 0.45 volts is within perfect specifications.

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

yeah. I heard of those other methods. Just don't want to run another o2 sensor if im just spoofing it anyway and like fupa said its not fool proof. So was looking for a more permanant fix. I ended up using a 25k resistor and a 1uf cap. I'll try the diode if this doesn't work. So far so good.

4. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

so your saying this method eliminates the need to use an o2 sensor?

5. greg0187

Yes... But just the secondary.

6. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

nice.. so how does the sensor on our hijets work? is that an odb2 as well?

7. greg0187

If its carbed and has a ECU its probably obd0. Probably a single wire o2 sensor that varies resistance with o2 levels. Im not even sure you would need an o2 sensor unless the carb is electronically controlled. older hijets probably arent obd anything.

8. fupabox

under the dash by the glovebox there is a small module the size of a relay..it's marked "emissions" I have never traced it to see what it controls but may do so when it warms up a bit...It more than likely just reads the signal sent by the exhaust temp sensor and turns on the light when readings are out of spec...but there is no OBD on the early trucks as there is no electronic feedbacks on the carb or intake

9. greg0187

Scratch radiator off the list, it is mounted and plumbed. Not really where i wanted to put it but couldn't find room under the truck. Got my driveshaft parts and started welding those up last night. Had some clearance issues with the front shaft so i had to use smaller Samurai shaft parts. This thing might just power itself out of the garage today! :D Cleaned up misc wiring and put the interior back together. Started mounting a chevy power steering pump and need to mount the steering resovoir/cooler. Here are some pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. starpuss

starpuss Member

you think that rad will do it? looks a bit on the small side

11. erixun

erixun Member

Man oh man, its coming together!! Cant wait for ACTION shots:pop::pop::pop:

12. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Fun to see progress!:pop:

13. greg0187

Yeah it is small... Its the OE Honda radiator though. So I got the driveline all together and disengaged all the hubs so I could inspect the driveline without actually driving the truck and it allows me to check everything over... kinda nice actually. currently I don't have any steering and my shifter isn't done yet. So I figured what the hell and locked in the hubs, put it in 4th gear, got in held the brake, and hit the key. I think that was a bad idea because of the high idle and being in gear the damn thing barked all 4 tires and jumped about 2 feet before I increased brake power, Tires steered in all different directions since I don't have any fluid in the cylinders. Scared the **** out of me!!!!!! It was FUN though! I contemplated on videoing but wasn't really expecting so much... wish I had now. This thing wants to go! Got some steering parts on the way. Maybe in a week or two I'll be able to do some real testing. :D

-Greg

14. fupabox

Damn that coulda been a "watch this" moment..glad it wasn't...the rad should be fine since it will be releasing the heat outside,unlike under the hood....looks like bleeding it will be easy:)

15. greg0187

Got the steering resovoir mounted... Also got my custom pulley for the pump and found a belt to fit. Just need to finish making the pump bracket now. Ordered all the hydraulic lines a couple days ago (All 49 feet worth!). Should be here this tuesday. Out of all the stuff i've done to this thing the steering is costing a small fortune. I sure hope it works! Thinking test drive next week sometime!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Dude that thing looks like it means BUSINESS :D Looking forward to the conclusion as I'm sure everyone else is!

17. slimbad

slimbad Member

Test drive

Greg,

Long time no talk, Damn, let's not rush the test drive (next week)...........It's only been 2 years and 4 months since you started this build:eek:-------I have followed it all along.

It seriously looks Great, my hat's off to you, I don't think i could have stayed with it so long, but it sure looks like you got a "one of a kind-BAD DOG".

Looking forward to some vids of it in action:pop::pop:....later, slim

18. starpuss

starpuss Member

man... 2 years and 4 months i did not think it was that long!

this build is what keeps me coming to this site!

19. greg0187

wazzzup slim! I know you've been lurking. I check up on you every now and then. :cool: You've been quiet though. Guess your not running the living hell out of your truck. ;) I know your just waiting to come up here for the inagural trail ride! Thanks for the complements everyone. Been a hell of a ride and I have more to come. I gotta keep up the suspense! I know starpuss isn't coming to the site just for my build! :sly: UPDATE: my supplier didn't ship my hydraulic lines until this afternoon so maybe i will get them before the weekend???? Keep my fingers crossed for something this weekend.. If not... Out of town on business for a few days and will get back at it. Right now im cussing the damn shifter linkage!!! Just ordered some more parts from a robotic company to hopefully finish it... No wonder I put it off so long! Also got me a project car (96 pontiac firebird) thats been comsuming some mini time... since im not digging the 15mpg's im getting out of my Sierra im commuting a 100 miles a day with.

20. greg0187

WOOT! Took a ride down the street last night. Steering works awesome, maybe a little too good. Brakes suck!!! Didn't lose any parts so I would call it a successful test. :D Will try to get the wife out and take some vids asap.

21. greg0187

You guys are patient and very well behaved!!! :p

22. zardoz

zardoz Member

Patient my A$$ !

We want to see your spanky new ride due! :pop:

Time is soon expiring for us to believe you've turned a wheel (not really... just sayin..) show us already! Er.. please?

z

23. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Awesome! Well other than the shitty brakes but that's fixable :p Congrats man! :cool:

24. Daner

Daner Member

I just read this entire thread and I am very excited to see the finished product!
    I don't think i'm as patient as everyone else. You were warned.lol

25. greg0187

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  26. starpuss

starpuss Member

DAM!!! WE NEED MORE !!!

i like!!

you need a video from out side the cab.

sounds like your power steering pump is crying!

27. Daner

Daner Member

That's good stuff! I read this whole thread at once a couple weeks ago so I haven't had much of a wait.

Next time I suggest giving the camera to the kid tho.

just givr:)

28. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

"jump it? My ass!" :D Fantastic work!

29. fupabox

damn that thing seems to accelerate pretty quick...cool vids:)

30. greg0187

will get some more shots soon! Sorry it was kinda rough and hard to hold the camera steady. This thing is undescribable. It is LOUD! One of the kids said it sounded like a nascar! LOL. It never dawned on me to get the kids to video I was trying to avoid them but they were stuck on me like flies on ****. Acceleration is incredible... speed is something to be desired. It doesn't look like it but I was actually going pretty fast on the straits... upwards of 40mph I'd say. Made a few shorts trips in it today back and fourth from the house to the trail checking things out to make sure I got everything tight.