1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Coilovers.

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by ionstorm66, Feb 13, 2024.

1. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

So I followed a picture I saw on here and ordered some 90s Corolla coilovers. With a simple mod they work perfectly for S81P. They have tons of adjustment, and at a minimum give you a 1 or 2 of lift with no lift kit!

I got some adjustable damper version, and they are amazing offroad and on road.

The only mod was to drill the top mount for the right pattern. Luckily the ones I got the bearing block was a perfect fit for the strut mount! I just had to flip over the bearing block to the top and then use it to line the holes up. Drilled the three holes the same size as stock in pressed in the studs.

I used the stock upper bolt, and a camber adjustment bolt in the bottom. The whole pattern is slightly narrower than stock so the camber adjustment bolt on the bottom makes it fit.

Test fit with no spring.
    IMG_20240206_125432_01.jpg

Comparison to stock strut.
    IMG_20240205_130112_572-min.jpg

Strut top mod.
    IMG_20240205_152531_763-min.jpg

KevinK, Shimaura and Dewie like this.
  2. Dewie

Dewie Member

I would like this more than once if I could!

Where did you find these particular coilovers?

3. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

They are off eBay for a 90s Corolla.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

Is that the rear corolla strut

5. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

Its the front coilover. The rear ones were longer, and didn't have camber plates ion the top. If you did a subframe drop, you could use the rear struts with the from brakets for a ~6inch lift.

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

Thanks interesting you say the rears may work for big lift. I have a complete parts truck accept the front diff and driveshaft. I keep looking at samurai axles to do a swap. Set the front end up like a coil front jeep suspension

7. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

Solid axle needs a entirely different kind of coilover. Jeeps and other coil spring solid axles generally use a separate spring and shock in the stock setup. There is a ton of fab work to convert independent to solid axle.

8. KevinK

KevinK New Member

How is the ride with the new struts?

I am curious as the coil is much stiffer than a stock coil