1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition timing issues!

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Backyard hack, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Backyard hack

Backyard hack New Member Supporting Member

Hi Guys! New to the group, already got some helpful tips! I have a 1990 Carry 660 4X4 pickup. My problem started with a blown water pump when I got it. Ripped it all apart, changed the timing belt, tensioner, thermostat, gaskets, cap, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filters, and obviously the water pump. Slapped it all back together and it ran really good for about two minutes when I noticed water leaking from behind the distributor. Turned out to be a block off plate over a water outlet. I removed the distributor and the housing and then replaced the gasket on the water outlet. put it all back and now it won't start. Realigned the distributor gear in the housing so that it lined up with plug #1 I set the static timing (TDC with a line on top of flywheel peep hole), aligned the rotor around #1 on cap, still can't manage to get her to fire up. I set the plug wires at 321 and aligned the cap to fire TDC on #1. Am I missing something?

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

The fireing order is 132 if I remember right. Are you getting the 3 things needed to run? Gas, spark and compression?

3. Backyard hack

Yes on all 3.

4. Trevon

Trevon New Member

Have you had any luck ?

5. Backyard hack

Issue solved. My timing belt came loose and jumped the sprocket. Realigned it and it runs perfectly now. Apparently the tensioner wasn't tight enough. I'm always leary of cranking on any bolts on foreign cars.

t_g_farrell likes this.