1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new baby! 1990 Suzuki Carry

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ram204, Feb 2, 2024.

1. ram204

ram204 New Member

Hello all!
    My name is Rob and I work as a mechanical engineer. In my free time I enjoy tinkering, 3D printing, playing my synthesizers and my guitar among other things. After 3 years of searching, I have found and brought home what I consider to be a fantastic kei truck. Behold: My 1990 Suzuki Carry DB51T!
    IMG_0137_s.jpg
    She has the 5 speed manual with extra low, 4WD with Axle Lock, 26k km on the odo, and a custom paint job, to name a few things.

The first drive I did, I got a thumbs up from a couple of cars. So, to say that I am elated with my purchase is an understatement.

There are a couple things I need to fix up/upgrade:
    1. Paint: Need to touch up some areas and I'm still not sure how I feel about the yellow Suzuki logo in the front.
    2. Horn: The steering wheel has been replaced with a racing steering wheel from Momo. It is missing the horn button and there is a single wire coming out of the steering column. I ordered a button, but I would expect the horn to sound when grounding the wire against the steering column, except when I do that, nothing happens. I tested the wires with a multimeter and it reads 7 volts. Not sure what's going on there, but looks like I have a bit of an electrical gremlin to chase down.
    3. Bed Mat: The bed mat I got crumbled away into pieces when I tried to pick it up, so I need a new one lol. No rust on the bed though!
    4. RAM mounts: need to put my phone somewhere!
    5. Sun Visor: Gotta find new sun visors! Both are inexplicably missing.
    6. Diff Lock: I really wanted a truck with a diff lock or at least LSD, but I really liked this one. I'm wondering if someone sells aftermarket kits. So far, I have looked at the LSD from Traction Concepts and have called G&R imports to see if they can give me a rear end that has a diff lock.
    7. Dump Bed: In the future, I'd really like to install a dump kit it would really bring this rig to the next level I think, but that's a project for a future me.
    If there are any upgrades you'd suggest, I'd really love to hear them! I wouldn't mind spending more time with this truck. :)

Also, I would like to thank the members of this forum, over the years I have lurked the forums about mini trucks, learning all about them. If it wasn't for you guys, I'd probably wouldn't have this wonderful machine!
    Well that's it for right now. I have like a million more questions that I'm sure I'll post about, but I at least wanted to introduce myself and my machine.
    -Rob

Attached Files:

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

So did you get it from a private individual, a dealer or import yourself? Who did the paint? Nice looking rig. I assume it has the 550 motor in it since its a 90 but not sure when they cutoff on using that.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for doing the signature right.

ram204 likes this.
  3. ram204

ram204 New Member

Thanks much, man! I ended up winning it in an auction from a private seller. Thankfully the truck had a US title. its actually the 660 motor (at least according to the info plate). The little machine is surprisingly quick. I'll actually edit my signature so it includes the engine size too.

No clue who did the paint, apparently it was that color when the seller bought it. The paint code on the info plate is 26U, which is "Polar White", so this definitely isn't the original factory color. I like it though! Its got a shimmery metallic luster to it :D

You've got a nice rig too! Great write ups by the way. I hope to contribute similarly to the forum whenever I do something with the truck.

Attached Files:

4. Arty

Arty Active Member

I'd have it!!

ram204 likes this.
  5. Kevin in NC

Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. That's a good looking truck. I have a '90 Suzuki with the dump bed and it definitely comes in handy on the farm. Where are you located?
    Kevin in NC

ram204 likes this.
  6. ram204

ram204 New Member

I am in a small town in northwest PA. I bought the truck in Florida near my parents home so it's staying there for the time being. I gotta trailer her up at some point. I have a few acres that need to be maintained so I'm glad to have a hand from a machine like this!