1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Owner needs help-Cat converter

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by time, Jun 4, 2011.

1. time

time New Member

Hi all. Was recently given a '90 Sambar. Yes, given. LOL

A friend had it and it had a dump bed installed onto the bed. The dump bed works great. Anyway, it wasn't running well and woundn't start so he just left it parked for a couple years as he didn't have time to work on it.

I got it home, charged battery, added gas, seen a plug wire came loose and tightened all plug wires. It sarted right up but wouldn't idle. Ran it for a bit to get good gas moving through it but that didn't help. Checked and cleaned all spark plugs. It's running very rich. Now idles good untill warm and drives down the road well.

The problem I have before I work at carb adjustments is a light that I believe is a cat converter temp light stays on. Will this sencor cause a richening of the fuel mixture?

I took the cat off and beleive it is plugged but because of the twists of the inlets and outlets I can't get anything in there to knock stuff out. Some fine "sandy" grey stuff came out while rolling it around.

Also, the temp sencor wire may be broken/lost connection. I would just replace it(the sencor) but it appears welded into the cat.

Sooooooo, it seems I have options.

Find a new/used cat with a good sencor in it. Or, make after market mufler work and make a spot for a new replacement sencor as per the replacement parts list. Or, if there is no electronics on the carb that would richen the fuel mix without the sencor, leave it off.

I'm rural farm and do not need to register this so emisions is not an issue.

Any thoughts?

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

cut the wire and ground it

3. time

time New Member

Yep, that turned the light off.

Thanks!