1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rad fan wont spin

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by blastercheese, Mar 20, 2024.

1. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

I have a 1996 supercharged awd subaru sambar and the rad fan will not turn on resulting in overheating issues. I get the temp to halfway on the gauge and expect for the rad fan to spin but no dice. I believe the temp sensor is back left facing the engine tailgate side at a 45ish degree angle. I am assuing the temp sensor is working as i can see the gauge go up, but where would the relay switch be as im lost at this point. Sorry for any noobness by my part im a network engineer not a mechanic.

2. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

Got it to work. Guess i just didnt have it hot enough for the fans to kick in.

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There are three temperature sensors on the Supercharged models. One for the radiator fan, one for the cluster, and one for the cage fan in front of the transmission. The radiator fan does not kick on until about 190 degrees F

4. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

Oh so that would explain the random tiny fan near the transmission. On a side note would you happen to know what cable this is/goes to?

Attached Files:

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

That looks like it would be for the optional AC system. All of those connectors are blue to indicate that they are for that. Unless that connector is actually black with some reflection on it?

6. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

I'd have to verify tomorrow as its dark out now but it looks blue at the tip an probably painted/gunked black. Thank you for your insight.

7. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

Seems to be a black connector.

Attached Files:

8. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

On a second look, that may be aftermarket. There are no 3 pin connectors in that area on the service manuals, the wire looks to be a heavier gauge/thicker insulation than what is typically used by Subaru, and it has a loose rubber sheath over it instead of the taped on split-loom tubing that Subaru typically uses for abrasion resistance.

I think you are going to need to follow it and see where else it goes to come up with some clue as to its purpose.

9. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

Gotcha. So far everything seems to be working so if I get the urge ill probably trace it out then. Once again thanks for the assistance.