Radio Antenna Parts

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Wire Fox, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

Just got my 95 Sambar truck in last week and have been working on bits and pieces of it. One thing I can't seem to find in the parts fiche is the parts for the radio antenna mast and the supporting plastic clips. Does anybody have the part #'s for these and/or a source of replacement for the mast and plastic clips? Mine is bent and the upper clip snapped. Mine is the type that mounts on the pillar just behind the driver door.

I'm hoping to avoid having to just carefully straighten the antenna and 3D printing a new clip as I'm very rusty as CAD these days and that sounds like quite a time sink to re-learn all that...

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Try 500yenshop.com you can probably find used on yahoo auctions or new as well I bet. I did for my Suzuki Every van. G&R in Missouri probably has pulls of used ones as well.

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

That is not for a lack of trying.. for some reason there are NO audio related parts listed in the parts catalog for the 5th gen models. There is not even a diagram for any of bits. I can get all of the 6th gen (1999-2012) part numbers, but nothing at all for prior models.

That said, I did make some inquiries and both versions of the antenna and their related parts are all discontinued. Your only option at this point is to acquire one used. G&R is probably the best bet as they likely have a number of them in their junkyard.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    Wire Fox likes this.
  4. t_g_farrell

Just did a search on 500yenshop and see a bunch of Sambar radios and antennas (search works better if you use the first part of the VIN example DE51V for my van, no clue what that is for a 95 Sambar

upload_2023-11-7_9-20-41.png

5. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

Most of the antennas I saw on 500yenshop were for the TT1/TT2 models. Saw just a couple that might be for the KS3/KS4. Prices after shipping make them quite astronomical. G&R Imports said they had one for the KS4, but the price was also quite high. Will be about the same cost shipped as it would for what was on 500yenshop.

That said, looking at the TT1/TT2 antennas, they look extremely similar to the KS3/KS4 antennas. H6351TC901 is still available for order on Amayama as a replacement for 86321TC021 at a very good price, which is the antenna for 1999-2001 TT1/TT2. Can anyone confirm if they are close enough to fit (or may actually be the same)? I'd much rather pay $24 for a brand new assembly and ship it with a bundle of other items I need.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  6. t_g_farrell

I'm doing that now, got a bunch of stuff ordered and once its all in will have it shipped in a single box from Japan.

7. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I know of noone who has tried, so looks like you are going to be the pioneer here. That said, part numbers that begin with letters are going to be dealer option kits, pretty much all of which are going to be long since sold out. My understanding with 86321TC021 (known discontinued) is that it is the antenna portion of the H6351TC901 kit, not that H6351TC901 is the replacement.

Wire Fox likes this.
  8. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

For $24, I think I'll give it a shot. Worst case, I'll hold onto it until the next generation of trucks starts becoming available in the US next year and I can offer it to someone else with a damaged antenna.

Ideamakers likes this.
  9. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

I have excellent news. H6351TC901 is a direct fit for the KS3/KS4 trucks with the side-of-cab antenna! It took me hours to get the stainless steel screws to break free from the truck, but once off, I was able to verify what looked like it was going to be a close fit to actually be an exact fit.

The H6351TC901 comes with everything: mast with preattached cable, upper bracket, both gaskets, and both screws. The antenna is significantly thicker than the original, which should add a good amount of additional strength. It also appears to extend higher, unless my original is just too damaged to extend fully. Only downside is the cable is about one foot shorter, which is likely to mean that I'll need a longer extension in order to connect to my radio. I was already using a one foot extension to go from the factory connector to my aftermarket radio.

I'll share some pictures when I get to go back and do the cable routing and confirm fitment. Thanks to how stubborn the old screws were (and yes, I chased the threads with a tap and then coated the screws with plenty of anti-seize to prevent this from happening again), this was one of those 7-hour projects that should have only taken 15 minutes. It's now past 2AM locally and doing anything else with this can wait!

Drain and rkrenicki like this.
  10. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

From where did you purchase the antenna kit? Amayama now shows it as discontinued, unless you happened to buy the very last one and they marked it as such.

11. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

12. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

hmm, that is H6357TC901, and you said that H6351TC901 is what fit. I know that they list the version that ends in 7 as a possible fit, but I just wanted to make sure that is indeed the correct one before I add it to the sheet.

13. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

IMG_20231210_142356452~2.jpg Screenshot_20231210-141605-897.png

Excellent catch! Looks like the substitution has been made for me, and it's the H6357TC901 part that I received. Photos of order slip and part box attached for verification.

14. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Gotcha, I had copy-pasted your part number into Amayama which came up with the error. Either way, To the sheet it goes, thanks!

Drain and Wire Fox like this.
  15. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

I just saw it listed in the sheet. I think it would be a good idea to add a note that it needs a short antenna cable extension to make it all the way to the radio. Following the stock routing in my KS4 (under the driver seat, then going diagonal under the floor mat straight to the dash wiring bundle), it needs about an 12" extension to make it to the retainer clip beside the radio. I changed the routing in my truck to match what I saw in the 6th gen parts diagram (I thought it seemed cleaner and better protected): It now goes under the driver seat, under the center console, and through the plastic cable guard on the floor. An 18" extension was perfect to get it up to the retainer clip.

16. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

I wanted to add a couple of photos for clear visual. You can see my cable routing into the floor protector and you can just see the end of the new antenna cable underneath the blower, thus the need for extension. You can also see the foam tape on the floor in both photos-that's the old routing for the antenna cable, as it came with my truck. It seemed kinda silly to have an unprotected cable under the driver's feet, though in all fairness, it apparently worked fine for over 25 years.

IMG_20231230_150344788 comp.jpg IMG_20231230_153847790 comp.jpg

17. COCONUTS

COCONUTS New Member

Is this the complete kit for a 1999 Sambar TT2?

It comes with the mast, 2 black plastic mounts, and the new screws if I’m reading it correctly?

I see the part on the Amayama cost approximately $42 shipped to the US. Am I looking at the right part?
    I uploaded a photo of mine.
    Thanks,

Greg in Missouri

Attached Files: