1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing front body panels/headlights?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Eldrik, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Eldrik

Eldrik New Member

I like the look of the '90-'92 round headlightss.
    But what if one were to take a later model Sambar, and try to replecate the earlier round headlight look?
    I know the body panels are different, but do they mount the same way as the later model panels do, without any modifications?
    And how readily available/pricey are those earlier body panels and headlight doors?
    Thanx!

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The "fenders" for lack of a better word do indeed bolt on and off, and use the same mounting points, but the whole front panel is different, along with the headlight mounting buckets. Those parts are welded in and are integral to the chassis... heck, they ARE the chassis.

I suppose you could cut it all out and weld in one from an earlier model.. or it might be easier and probably cheaper just to swap the entire cab. None of those parts will be available new anymore, you would have to source them used.

Eldrik likes this.
  3. reggie98

reggie98 Member

Would it be easier to source panels from a Sambar Classic? That is the truck I really wanted, but couldn't find a classic with the options I wanted at a price I would pay.

Eldrik likes this.
  4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The Classic does have a similar front panel to the earlier models, but it is a bit different too. It is fairly unique to that model. The work to replace with Classic parts would be the same as if it were from the earlier models too.

What options were you looking for in a Classic? There are not a whole lot of variations of those to start with.

Eldrik likes this.
  5. Eldrik

Eldrik New Member

Thanx for the respones!
    I'm only thinkin'... if I find a mid-late '90's Sambar with some front-end damage, I'd like to convert it to a '90-'92 look. :cool:

6. reggie98

reggie98 Member

A dump bed, A/C, maybe power steering too. But not one where the interior is all trashed. Places that recover and rebuild seats are becoming harder and harder to find

7. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

You will not find one with a Dump or Power steering. AC is somewhat common on that model though. Subaru did not make a dump or scissor lift model themselves. They made a chassis truck, and a third party did the conversion. They never made a Classic chassis truck. The only truck model that came with Power Steering was the JA w/CVT model (also not made as a chassis truck). It was intended for the elderly farmers in Japan.

That all said, swapping that stuff onto a Classic model is an option. The dump beds are largely "bolt on" once you remove the stock bed since it was a third party that did the conversions. The electric power steering can be retrofitted into other trucks. Ive done it on mine, but to be honest the only time it ever really does anything is when doing a 3 point turn at a complete stop. The unassisted steering is so light when moving, it really makes a tiny bit of difference.

Eldrik likes this.