1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s80 engine swap

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by 12voltfun, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

just bought a s80 jumbo lefthand 2wd with the motor in pieces , no hope for it so i am swaping in a lifan 4cyl from a buggy will be making adapter for the bellhousing tonight

2. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

how many cc's is the lifan?

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

very cool...post up some pics..better yet do a build thread,people love to see this stuff being done

4. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

i dont know the cc's but would guess some where in the 660 to 1000 range, i cant seem to find much info on the lifan motor but it is the same basic design as the hijet motor, 1 inch longer , slanted over the same amount , same style carb . i will try to get some pics soon.

5. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Yea im ready to see how it works out and the difference in power

6. HardlyWarcane

HardlyWarcane New Member

yup me too!
    Has there been any other engine swaps posted?

7. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Yea i know one guy put a motorcycle motor in his

8. HardlyWarcane

HardlyWarcane New Member

cool,
    I've bought a carry, but it is on the coast and I'm in the okanagon right now ...can't wait to start looking it over.

9. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

1028121832b.jpg 1028121832a.jpg 1028121827a.jpg
    lifan 4cyl

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

slow getting pics no power here will be weeks before i get any . any one know anything about lifan motors

11. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Glad your safe. What are you wanting to know about it? It looks real similar to a stock motor

12. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Lifan is one of the oldest and largest motorcycle manufacturers in China...I used to import ATVs and minibikes from them years ago...as Chinese manufacturers go they were among the best quality..I know nothing about their larger engines like yours though

13. HardlyWarcane

HardlyWarcane New Member

So what did the above motor come out of ?
    How about some spec's on the motor in the picture? like the cc. or H.P. length,width,height?
    Has anyone installed one in their mini truck?
    Any other motor swaps out there ?
    I saw one on U-tube with a street bike engine made the truck very fast but no reverse ... as the guy is doing donuts he gets a little close to a tree and has to push the truck back .

14. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

still no power here , i will get better pics when i get power, i pulled the lifan from a china side by side that looked like a 2wd car. i cant find any info on the motor , its an inch longer than the hijet motor and close to the same size every where else. i made a 1/4" thick bell housing adapter and used the hijet flywheel and clutch, then the power went off. the lifan has points in the distributor (i dont like ) So im basically replacing a motor that is hard to find parts for ,for a motor that you cant get parts for

15. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

oh and no reverse would suck

16. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

ok got some pics of the adapter plate i made and the lifan 4cyl hooked to the s80 tranny
    Motor.jpg Motor2.jpg Plate.jpg Plate2.jpg
    the starter works great. time to put it in the truck

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

You check the throw-out specs on that set-up?

18. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

i used the s80 clutch and flywheel so i could use the s80 starter witch bolts to the tranny so all i needed was the 1/4 inch plate/adapter and it lines up great.
    engine is in need to make motor mounts and hook it all up. might have to lower the sub frame/engine cradle

19. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, just ment the throw length. You got an extra 1/4" in there now. You gonna have any clutch at all?
    How about the pilot bearing...same size? That would be a nice coincidence. Inner, outer...but you got both?

Hey, it's all good though. You get +10 points just for the gall of diving in there without asking anybody here very much.
    I would have recommended tapping the plate, rather than chopping the bell...
    Same result I guess.

We like pics here,

Thanks man

Mark price likes this.
  20. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

thats the best part i dont have a extra 1/4" in there! the lifan motor had a 6mm plate inthere all ready and if i did the ring gear would not line up with the starter. the pilot bearing from the lifan has the some inner dia. i had to drill out the s80 fly wheel to fit the outside dia. of the lifan bearing . And cutting the bellhousing was just an fast and easy way to do it , if all this didnt work i would have put the lifan 4speed trany in but i wanted the low and high range s80 tranny

95 hijet s80 2wd high low range, lift coming soon

21. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Nice, more pics please...

22. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

1hijet.jpg Hijet.jpg Mount .jpg Mt .jpg Tm.jpg Trim.jpg
    pics of the s80 and motor mount

23. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

Its alive! It raps the speeddo around to about 45 mph or so and pulls real nice. 5th gear would be nice.
    used a electric fuel pump

24. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

All is well but its time to take a look at the brakes. Anyone have a suggestion any tricks, sstuff to look ffor?

25. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

The brakes on these just suck as far as I can tell.I've gone through mine completely and they are really poor.I would like to convert to discs all the way around but haven't found a way yet.Let us know if you come up with anything.
    After looking at my reply I need to clarify...These trucks were engineered for non highway use and governed at 25 mph so the brakes were probably adequate.We never leave anything alone so at some time in the past someone connived a way to title my truck and I sabotaged all the engineering to make it run 50 mph and now I whine about the brakes.The fact that the brakes are no longer adequate is my fault but if you can figure a way to up date them please share.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  26. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to have the drums re-surfaced on a regular basis and get some high qual material bonded to the old shoes.

Conversion kits are avaliable for many applications, but they are way expensive. If you really insist, get a set of fronts from a newer model and bolt on.

27. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

thanks spaner

28. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

got about 2 tanks threw it now still running strong. working on putting a homemade 2 inch lift and replaced wheel studs to 12x1.50 mm all to get some 14" wheels to fit

29. 12voltfun

12voltfun New Member

1123122145a.jpg 1123122147a.jpg 1204120051a.jpg 1204120052a.jpg
    Got tires and wheels mounted, you can see the difference in the studs

30. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

How's your motor doing?