1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar No Power To Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Buckwheat363, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 Member

Hey everyone, I have a new problem with my Sambar. It started out happening once in awhile where the fuel pump would shut off for a second or 2 while driving. It would come back on and id keep driving. It then sat for about a month and the pump would not come on at all. I have installed a new fuel pump, pump relay, the other relay thats right next to the fuel pump one, and fuel filter. I have checked all fuses in the fuse box under the dash as well as the fuses behind the battery box. I have removed all grounds I can find and cleaned them up. The truck cranks over with the key but no power to the pump and the relay dose not click on. Is there a fuse, a connector, or relay somewhere that I am missing? Is there another part i should be checking that sends a signal? Could it be the ECU? Im out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECU itself. It does not activate in key-on/engine-off?

3. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 Member

No it used to click on with key on engine off. It no longer does that

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Take a look at fuse #7 under the dash. That powers the ECU. Does the "Check Engine" light come on when in key-on, engine-off?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  5. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 Member

#7 is good. Key on engine off there is no check engine light, just oil, temp and battery lights

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

If the CEL is not coming on, then either the ECU has no power, or otherwise has some other issue preventing it from working...

7. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 Member

I still have not solved this issue yet but I am now looking at the fuel pressure regulator as being the culprit. Anyone know where one can be sourced or cross-referenced?
    Stamped on the regulator is "Hitachi 2Z22 MPDB20-8A"

I am going to try and clean it and reinstall it but I have my doubts that it will help any.

8. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I do not know of an aftermarket alternative, and I only know one person who has needed to even replace theirs at all and they sourced a used one.

Why do you question the regulator? Have you sorted out the power to the pump yet?

9. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 Member

Well my thoughts are this, the pump would come on and once it reached pressure it would shut off until you cranked it over. So I'm wondering if there is a malfunction in the fuel pressure regulator that is telling it that it is at pressure when in fact it is not. Even hooking power directly to the fuel pump, and with it running continuously, the engine will still not start. So I'm wondering if there is a blockage or something stuck with the FPR. I may be completely wrong but I figured it would be one more thing to rule out.

10. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

No, the pump would be on all of the time. The regulator is completely mechanical, and would open up at 45psi to allow the fuel to pass through the return back to the tank. It has no electrical functions at all.

As I noted before, if your CEL is not coming on when in Key-on/Engine-off, then your ECU either has no power or otherwise has some other electrical problem. If the ECU has an issue, it can't/won't tell the pump to come on. Even if you jumper out the fuel pump to manually run, the ECU is also required to drive the injectors and to fire the coil at the correct time.