1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should my Sambar be faster?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by blastercheese, Mar 23, 2024.

1. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

So I have a 1996 supercharged awd subaru sambar and I feel I can get up to 50 mph easily, but... after I hit 50 mph it doesnt like to go any faster (maby 10 seconds of flat to get to 60). Is this normal or should it be able to get up to 80 mph like google says? Needless to say it was not taken care of by the previous owner and i have been having to fix alot.

2. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

My carbed 92 can go 70 mph so yeah keep fixing things.

3. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

Think it could be a limiter or what else should I look at?

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I have been able to get up to 83mph in mine, but that is quite literally at redline so I do not suggest doing it for very long. A supercharged Sambar should be able to go 60-65mph quite comfortably.

If you cannot get over 50, then I would look at vacuum lines, and the two rubber couplers on the in and out side of the Supercharger. All of those are rubber hoses that will break down over time, 28 years is a long time for them.

5. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Limiter would be around 25 mph. You need to do PM on it. Probably bad hoses etc. Tune up as well.

6. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

I do have bad seals for valve cover, cam shaft, and crank which will be my next steps of troubleshooting as I don't like leaking oil constantly on my concrete. What is a PM and where would I start to trace the vac line(s)?

7. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

PM - Preventive Maintenance. Replace all rubber hoses/lines etc. Full tuneup (plugs/wires/cap/rotor), Timing belt, water pump, and any seals for those. Fix wobbly steering.

8. blastercheese

blastercheese New Member

Gotcha.