1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki F6A not starting

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Trevon, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Trevon

Trevon New Member

Good day.

Hey Guys,
    Looking for advice in regards to a suzuki F6A engine.

- I've recently replaced the head as it had worn cam journals, the camshaft had deep grooves, and the rocker cover bolts were slack and wore out the threads.(engine would still start and idle, it did however had alot of top end noise)

- since replacing, I have been unable to get the engine to start. The head was a used head (off a working f6a engine that was running) head got machined, new head gasket, timing set according to the manual, distributor timing set to #1 at TDC

- I have checked for spark by pulling eqch plug wire and swinging the engine.
    The ignition coil is plugged in, and grounded . The distributor is also plugged in.
    The carburetor magentic switch has also been plugged in.
    Gas also seems to be good as i can see it being squirt in as the accelator is pressed.

I've even tried spraying gas with a spray bottle directly in to the carb with no luck. Not even a backfire.

Any tips or advice?

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

What do the plugs look like? Wet or dry? If wet, then you are getting gas there. If dry then its a fueling issue.

It could be you aren't making enough compression. Check compression. Also make sure the ground strap is back on the engine. Also make sure the valves are adjusted right.

With that much wear on the head, did you consider at least piston rings and bearings?

3. Trevon

Trevon New Member

Hey, thanks for the advice.
    The plugs are wet.
    Unfortunately I didn't do bearings or rings.

What should the compression for these engine be?

I did a compression test by taking out one plug at a time and doing the test at that cylinder.
    Readings are:
    Number 1(closest to timing belt): 115 PSI
    Number 2: 110 PSI
    number 3(closest to the flywheel): 120 PSI

4. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Compression should be around 180. You may need to adjust the valves. Also if you check compression dry it doesn't hurt to add some oil in the cyloner to see how does wet. If it is better wet then you have some ring issues but overall should be ok.

5. Trevon

Trevon New Member

Hey, I tried it with some oil and it would "catch" but still wouldn't start.
    When i check the compression, readings did go up a bit was still below the 180.

I am in the process of tearing down the engine.
    I will first check and make sure that all valves are sealing correctly then changing rings and bearings in one go.

Can anyone verify if the image below is the correct way to install the rings? Gap every 90 degress
    (does it matter if the top or bottom oil ring is facing the EX or IN side?)
    [​IMG]

https://ibb.co/1KvxqrK

Attached Files: