1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White smoke

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by flip, Mar 31, 2024.

1. flip

flip New Member

Sorry for my previous thread so here goes. I have a 92 s83 p with the following problem. White smoke (steam) out of the exhaust. I pulled head had it re-surfaced and checked for cracks then re installed with new gasket for head,intake and exhaust and re torqued to spec. Still smoking and bubbles in radiator. Runs great with no sign of water in oil. Re did entire process again with same results! As there are water lines to the intake manifold and carb I was wondering if that could be the issue? Pinched off lines with no result; is there any other way for water intrusion I’m missing? Thanks in advance, flip

2. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Have you pulled your sparkplugs to see what is happening there ?

3. flip

flip New Member

Yes and they look good. In the next couple of days I’m going to do a compression test and listen for leaks in exhaust and intake. It’s running great except for the pesky white smoke.

4. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

What about your fuel ? Any chance you may have gotten a bit of diesel in there by mistake ?

5. flip

flip New Member

No chance of diesel and white smoke is water vapor. Also drips out of exhaust. Checked compression and it’s 150 in two cylinders and 160 in the other. First time I pulled it apart the #1 cyl plug was wet and moisture was in cyl. 2nd time I replaced head gasket the #3 cylinder was the only one that was wet!

6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

It seems odd that the leak would move from #1 to #3 cylinder. Did you check the locating dowels ? After skimming the head, is it possible that one is too long and bottoming out and preventing the head making good contact ?

Ernies Imports likes this.
  7. flip

flip New Member

Locating dowels protruded just enough to hold gasket in place while installing head. I’m tired of working on this after replacing carb; timing belt and tensioner, thermostat, brakes,tires, window channels,mirrors and all vacuum lines. It’s time to unload this to someone that has the patience to fix it. Thanks to everyone for their help. Flip

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

don't give up. Relax some time and then give it a new try, you have meanwhile repaired so much, would be a pity if you give up now.

9. reggie98

reggie98 Member

As described in your profile posts, this all started with an overheating/coolant problem. While you could be having repeated head gasket sealing issues, have you considered that you initial problem make have caused an internal crack in the engine block? Have you done a coolant system pressure test and a cylinder leakdown test?