1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisconsin KEI truck Titling and Registration

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by DadBod69, Mar 18, 2024.

1. DadBod69

DadBod69 New Member Supporting Member

Hello all. I just wanted to give an update on my title and registration for the 97’ Sambar. Title and registration in my name arrived beginning of the week. As I live in a county that requires emissions, I have 45 days to get this done.

Friday I took it to emissions and it was determined it does not have a On-Board Diagnostic or OBD plug. (There might be one, we could not find it)

At this point, I am required to schedule an appointment at a specified service/repair shop, Friday the 22nd of March. I’ve been told a representative from the DMV will meet us there and verify it does not have an OBD. Once this is verified a waiver will be issued and I will no longer be required to take the truck through emissions in the future.

Here is some good information regarding emission requirements based on the year of the vehicle:

What Vehicles require testing?

Vehicles kept in the following seven counties of southeastern Wisconsin are subject to emissions testing: Sheboygan, Washington, Ozaukee, Waukesha, Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha.

Testing is required at Change of Ownership (>5 model years) and at time of Registration Renewal (every 2 years).
    • 1996 - 2006 with a GVWR < 8,501 lbs. require testing (Gasoline Only)
    • 2007 and newer with a GVWR <14,001 lbs. require testing (Diesel and Gasoline)

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Actually, they should be exempt because of the federal law that allows importation at >25 years old. I guess states can do what they want however.

3. DadBod69

I was under that impression as well. However, as posted WI put 1996 and newer are required for emissions. I should have bought a 1995 or older and I would be all set.

I will do an update on Friday once I go through the process. Appointment is at 1:30pm central time.

4. DadBod69

EMISSIONS WAIVER OBTAINED - Glad to report I was able to get the waiver. Met with a WI DMV employee who verified the truck was not modified in any way. He took a few pictures and said the service facility would enter the waiver into the system and I was good to go. I will not be required to any further emissions testing. The 97’ Sambar is 100% street legal in the state of Wisconsin.

5. Dead1

Dead1 New Member

I’m in Wisconsin. Just registered my 94 sambar with collector plates and registration. No problem

DadBod69 likes this.
  6. DadBod69

Just a quick note: WISCONSIN

If your Kei truck is a 1995 or older and you live in one of the counties that requires emissions, you do not need a waiver.

If your Kei truck is a 1996 to 1998 and you live in one of the counties that requires emissions, you will need to obtain a waiver.

if you don’t live in a county that requires emissions, it doesn’t matter what year Kei truck you have. You are good to register and title under a COLLECTOR PLATE.