Click to view all our sponsors
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Fuel Pump Wiring

Default Suzuki Fuel Pump Wiring

One of our Suzuki Carrys is having an electrical glitch that's affecting the fuel pump. No pump, no go. It's a 1990 model 600cc. Ground lead tests good continuity to ground. Can't get power on the positive lead.

Does anybody know if the power lead to the fuel pump come directly off the ignition switch ignition circuit or is there a relay in between? How about a fuse?

Is there such a thing as electrical schematic diagrams or the like for these?

It's driving us crazy. Got the whole dashboard out and gutted trying to chase wires and it's a major pain for one little item.

Believe it or not, of all our Suzuki's this 1990 is the oldest and tightest of the bunch. It seems to drive and ride the best with plenty of pickup and go. We just can't let it go it's so much fun. Once again we have proved to ourselves many of the oldies are the goodies.

Default Nice picture

That`s a really nice Suzuki.

There is a relay located under the dash. They sometimes go bad & need replaced. There also is a fuse. There is not a manual or diagram in English but we are working on getting them translated. Nice truck in great shape.
    mike

I had two of them shipped to me pump did not work. One of them I had to redo the two ground wires under the from bumper. The other one the relay under the dash had water in it from pressure washing. Took it out blew it out with compressed air and all was good.
    Todd

Default fuel pump relay

i just bought a 1990 suzuki caRRY and it ran fine for 2 days then the fuel pump stopped working sometimes.
    At first i just restarted the truck and that seemed to reset things for a while but then it would shut down again.
    I could hear the pump ticking when it was working ,but no sound when it wasnt working and the truck would die.
    I noticed a clicking sound under the dash that would click when the ignition was activated, run the pump for 2 seconds and then turn it ff if you didnt start the car. This is a safety relay that is supposed to turn on the pump(and off)
    I took the relay out and open the plastic case. It looked fine so i banged it on the desk lightly and blew some air into it and re-installed it.
    Car now works fine goin on 2 weeks.
    ________
    SUZUKI KATANA HISTORY
    Last edited by minidump; 02-27-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Go to http://www.lulu.com/content/2343144 for English wiring diagrams

Default Need help with Fuel Pump

I am having fuel pump problems on my 1992 Suzuki. I have unplugged the pump and jumpered 12V from the battery and the pump will not run (just a big spark! ). Also, when I check the wires going to the pump (at the plug that I disconnected) there is no voltage, with the key switch on.

Has anyone replaced their pump with a generic 12V electric fuel pump?

Can someone give me details about the electrical supply to the fuel pump. Is there a fuse and/or relay? Where are they located? Any troubleshooting tips? I have an English manual ordered, waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks!
    James

JR, sounds like your fuel pump has died and has become a direct short, probably blowing a fuse or cooked a relay and that is why you do not have 12V to the pump with the key on.Take the pump off the truck, then attach 12V to it from your battery.Take a 12V testlight and put the clamp on the negative terminal of the battery,then touch the housing of the pump with the probe end,I am betting you will see the testlight light up.You can also use an Ohmmeter, but more people probably have a 12V testlight than a multimeter.

DRW,

Thanks for the reply. I have put 12V to the pump from the battery, with it still on the truck. Did not run, just a big spark. I will remove the pump and check it with a multimeter. (I don't have a testlight...)

Do you know where the fuse or relay may be located. There is not a blown fuse in my fuse block. And I have not been successful in tracing the wiring....yet.

Any and all suggestions are helpful!
    James

JR, the fuse box is on the left side of the steering column under the dash, pretty easy to see, I do not know where the fuel pump relay is or if one is actually used.The amp demand may not be enough to require one.

Anyone else have any info on the fuse and/or relay on a Suzuki fuel pump?

Why do you think these fuel pumps seem to fail? Could our gas be different (I know the gas that was in the trucks after shipping smelled VERY different from US gasoline!), not as much lubricity? Just wondering.
    James

JR, I did not have much time last night, but I did notice that I can turn the ignition to run and you can hear the fuel pump working and when it stops there is a click coming from behind the instrument cluster area like a relay de-energizing.I did this several times and got the same results.Not much help I know.

Can anyone give me the exact location of the fuel pump relay on a 1992 Carry? I have a wiring diagram that shows a relay, but have not had any luck locating it!
    James

Has anyone found the fuel pump relay? I have located the fuel cutoff relay looking through the brake reservoir opening in dash but not the fuel pump relay itself??? I have all the manuals but nowhere does it tell the location of relay. AWESOME BOOKS FOR SURE THOUGH http://www.lulu.com/content/2343144 but I still need help. Yeah I know I'm not the brightess bulb.

Darin

Its black, has one screw attachment. Has a coupler with four wires. Do not know the year of your vehicle but 90% is take out the speedo head and look left. About 6 inches to left of the removed speedo head. There were a few models that had it under the left set next to the coil.
    Br,
    Don